Tuesday 10 February 2009

"A Law Without Logic - Redjotter"


After searching the blogsphere I recently came across a really interesting and relevant post by Redjotter called "A Law Without Logic". It is concerning a Dispatches program called "Too old to work." I am gutted I missed this program as it would have given another really useful insight into the social aspect of older people staying on in a formal sense of work.

One of the quotes taken from the program by Redjotter says, "I want to use my brain." This struck a cord with me, as my Granny is extremely clever, but is quite inactive in a physical sense. Is extending working ages going to get over this feeling of wasted mental capital? I feel that the thing coming from this is that older people need mental stimulation in any form, perhaps over the structure of formal work. How can we "upcycle" our grandparents knowledge and skills instead of them being wasted and put into the "landfill" of a retirement home?

PS. check out Redjotter's blog redjotter.wordpress.com, some really interesting and fun stuff.


P Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

  1. You know "redjotter" is a student on the MDes at Dundee, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I am a student...here I am. Thank you for the link Paddy and thank you for your recent comments on my blog! I have subsribed to unboxdesign. Keep up the good work! Come and find me in the Masters studio anytime if you want to chat more about our blog postings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lauren, thanks for the comment. Really like your blog. I did know that you where a student here, but I only just found out yesterday that you are a Product Designer! Would be really good to talk to you some time to see what life after Level 7 is like!

    ReplyDelete