Thursday 26 February 2009

One Question...

Came across this video tonight through Kate Andrews' blog. I hate to use the word "lovely", but I think this qualifies as "lovely".



Simple premise, ask one question to fifty different people on the streets of Brooklyn and record the answers they give. I took it as a social research experiment designed to see where one pretty obscure question can lead to.

I'm really starting to look at these experiments with a focused view now, before I used to pan them off as nonsensical and pointless, believing that there was no use in the findings.

I'm struggling to explain why my opinion has changed, I can't seem to put my finger on the reason. Feel free to suggest a reason.

Anyway with my view changed I look at these social research experiments and find them really interesting. In the case of this one, it shows you how diverse peoples' answers can be (ranging from "my bed" to "my fathers tombstone") stemming from one simple question.

It makes me think, if the question was deeper and more omminous, e.g "How can people prevent climate change and pass on sustainability knowledge?" then would the answers be more restricted and almost forced?

I love the simplicity of the question in this video, and the depth in which people go into with their answers, is this what design should be like? Simple but provoking?

Answers on a postcard. Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

  1. I agree, definitatly diserves the word lovely. I really liked what the woman said about the wardrobes. I think there is definitly something that cold be done with this. I think it really shows that we should not be afraid to totally dream and imaging the impossible! Great post.

    ReplyDelete